As a legacy to the Olympic and Paralympic Games, the government are providing primary schools with funding to improve provision of physical education (P.E.) and sport in primary schools. This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport will be ring-fenced for Physical Education.
For the academic year 2017/2018, the school has been allocated £8 299. We are spending the money on:
- Running sport competitions to increase pupils’ participation in competitive sport.
- Developing our range of after school sports clubs (tennis, basketball, dodgeball, football, scooters, etc.)
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs.
- Running half-termly 'WOW' workshops for each class with external professionals to provide children with opportunities to take part in a wide selection of sports/physical activity.
- Continuing our involvement with the Dacorum School Sports Network, allowing us access to a range of sporting competitions.
- Swimming instruction for all of Key Stage 2 at Berkhamsted School.
- Play-leader training/resources.
In addition to this, we are taking part in a range of competitions including:
- Village football league for pupils in Years 5 & 6.
- Village netball tournaments for pupils in Years 5 & 6.
- Village rounders tournament for pupils in Years 5 & 6.
- District Athletics for pupils in Years 5 & 6.
- DSSN competitions for pupils in all year groups.
- Termly inter-house competitions for pupils in Years 3 - 6 led by our house-captains.
- Termly inter-house competitions for pupils in Years 1 & 2 led by our house-captains.
The impact of our spending to date has included:
- Sainsbury’s Kite Mark Award (Silver).
- Runners-up at annual Inter-Village Sports Event.
- Year 5 & 6 Inter-School Village Football League (3rd Place).
- All children from Reception – Year 6 participating in competitive sport.
- All children in Years 3 – 6 participating in quality swimming lessons at Berkhamsted School.
- All children in Years 5 & 6 regularly play-leading sessions.